Welcome to the first day of your No Impact Experiment. Today we will discuss consumption. Hopefully, you have been able to access the manual – http://bit.ly/niwmanual and complete the five steps listed.
For this week we will be using this site to submit comments and thoughts that come up throughout the week.
A couple of questions to consider for today:
- Do you think that your list of ‘needs’ for this week will change? Do you think that more items will be added or subtracted as the week goes on?
- Were you surprised by how much went in to your ‘waste bag’?
- If you collected your waste during a weekday as opposed to a Sunday, do you suspect that it would look different? Would there be more or less waste in the bag at the end of the day?
- What creative ways have you developed to reuse or reduce the amount you consume?
- How are you consuming less tangible items (ie. energy and water)?
- How do you think your consumption impacts the local community? The state? The country? The rest of the world?
The No Impact Experiment really aims to focus on our current consumption habits and how we can change them both as an individual, and within our community.
I look forward to reading your comments, thoughts, and questions throughout the week.
Thanks to everyone for your interest in the No Impact Week.
If you haven’t done so already, please take a look at the manual that we will be referring to during the week – http://bit.ly/niwmanual.
Each day I will post a blog on the theme of that day. I will aim to get the blog post up in the morning so that we can have all day to submit comments. Discussion can take place in the comment section below. In order to post a comment, click on “Leave a comment” below and enter your information.
The manual was created for another No Impact Week that was run with the Sierra Club. While most of the links in the manual still work, the links to comment about your experience will not work and should instead be made on this site.
I look forward to reading about all your experiences and hope you enjoy the upcoming week. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comment section or feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Hopefully this online experience will create a lot of discussion around our current consumption habits and how we can ‘give back’ to the community. Also, if people would like to meet in person either during this week or at a later time, we can hopefully make some arrangements to do so.
This is the official online community for the Sierra Club New York No Impact Week. The week will run from Sunday, April 17 – Sunday, April 24
We will be using this website to share our experiences, observations, and questions throughout the week.
As a preview, we will be focusing on the following during the week:
Sunday, April 16 – Consumption
Monday, April 17 – Trash
Tuesday, April 18 – Transportation
Wednesday, April 19 – Food
Thursday, April 20 – Energy
Friday, April 21 – Water
Saturday, April 22 – Giving Back
Sunday, April 23 -Eco Sabbath
Hopefully we can work together throughout the week to find a project that we can focus on as part of our “Giving Back” day.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.